arrow arrow arrow arrow
Patrick O'Carroll
Nancy Negus
William Giles
Sarah Huskinson
Charles Negus Carroll
Keziah Giles

Emma Isabella Carroll


Family Links

1. Daniel Seegmiller

2. Myron David Higbee

Emma Isabella Carroll

  • Born: 6 Dec 1868, Heber City, Wasatch, UT
  • Marriage (1): Daniel Seegmiller on 30 Nov 1889
  • Marriage (2): Myron David Higbee on 2 Apr 1927
  • Died: 16 Nov 1954, Cedar City, Iron, UT at age 85
  • Buried: 19 Nov 1954, Cedar City, Iron, UT

bullet  General Notes:


(Excerpts from her life history written by herself and compiled for thiswriting by her daughter, Flora Seegmiller Perry.)

I was born in Heber City, WasatCh County, Utah, on October 6, 1868, thesixth in a family of fourteen children. My father, Charles Negus Carroll,was converted to the Gospel in New Brunswick, Canada in 1853, and on May10, 1854, he left for Utah in charge of a company of Saints.

My mother, Kezia Giles, embraced the Gospel in Broxholm, Lincolnshire,England, on March 4, 1854, and at the age of thirteen, with her father'sfamily--all of whom were converts, came to America.

Father and Mother met in Provo and were married on February 4, 1857. Inthe latter part of October of 1859, my parents moved to Heber City andlived there for twenty years and helped to build up the town of mynativity.

I was born in a three-room log house with a lean-to kitchen. The housewas well kept, as were the surrounding grounds and vegetable garden.

Father was very much convinced of the correctness of the principle ofcooperation and made application for membership in the organization ofOrderville, which was granted. Then came the move South. We were to livethe "United Order". I was then nine years old. Eating together was themost unusual change to me, but I soon became adjusted to the manychanges. My parents never regretted joining the "United Order". Theinfluence left upon me has been a wholesome factor in my life. When Ibecame old enough, I was privileged to act as a junior waitress at thetables. The association and making friends with so many people in thiswork left with me one of my most pleasant memories. Before the companydissolved, I learned to spin and to braid and sew straw hats. I, withother girls, gleaned wheat to earn a little money to call our own. Timepassed quickly and years were added.

On November 30, 1889, I married Daniel Seegmiller at Diaz, ChihuahuaCounty, Old Mexico. The next one and one-half years I spent in Salt LakeCity attending the LDS College. In January of 1891, I went to live atPipe Springs in Mohave County, Arizona, just across the border fromUtah-a rendezvous for victims of the Edmunds Tucker Law.

Pipe Springs, a pioneer fort, is the most desolate place I have everlived. It is situated on a point fronting an open desert. There weremild, comfortable winters and beautiful summers, and the association oflovely women, which compensated for the many distracting situationsencountered.

Two children were born at Pipe Springs--Daniel George on July 14, 1891,and Sterling on May 21, 1893. I do not know how we ever came out of someof the hard places that conditions forced on us, unless as Mother used tosay, "We do the best we can, and the Lord does the rest."

In November of 1894, my husband moved me to his home at Upper Kanab, or"ranch" in Kane County, Utah. It was a beautiful nook in the mountains.The summers were beautiful, but the winters were long and bitterly cold,and the snow fell deep. On this ranch was raised almost everything neededfor family consumption. Here was the advantage of living where there wasa Ward organization. I felt at last I had a real home. Three childrenwere born to me here: Adam C., June 1, 1895, Flora, September 8, 1897 andPaul Carroll, March 14,1899 .

My husband's death occurred on July 23, 1899, which was a sad blow to usall. In the year that followed his death, for the sake of economy andcompany, I gave up housekeeping and moved in with Aunt Mishie (a pluralwife). In October of 1900, I moved to Orderville among my own people,into a home taken in part payment for the ranch, I was now situatedcomfortably in a good home with two city lots, one planted to fruit, agood barn across the creek south of the house, two cows, chickens, andpigs, brought from the ranch, also some cattle and a few sheep, fiveacres of dry land farm on which we raised corn, and $500 of stock in theOrderville Coop Store.

Five children, ranging in age from nine to one and one-half years, solelymy responsibility, and the big struggle of my life before me, yet thenext seventeen years were the fullest years of my life. It did help me tostand alone. Yes, there has been development, but at what a cost? I amsure I have given all the physical, mental, and moral force I had for theupbringing of my children. I have toiled and I have sweat, and I haveprayed. Failures have been many, not so much, I think, from lack ofeffort and desire, but from human weakness and an inability to clearlyunderstand. No matter what the discouragement, hope and ambition alwayscame back with a bound .

I was now able to give active service to Ward activities, religious andotherwise. The greatest thrill of my life came when I sent two of my sonson missions, though I must work and worry over the financial end, therest of my children in district or high school.

From the beginning of 1904 to January 1, 1915, I was a teacher in theSunday School of the First Intermediate Class, teacher in the TheologicalDepartment from January 1,1915 to September 1915. By request I wastransferred back to the First Intermediate Department, which position Iheld until September 1917. I took my five children, each in turn, throughthis grade. I was class teacher in the senior class of YLMIA from 1904 to1910. I was chosen Second Counselor in the Stake YLMIA, but did notfunction in this capacity, for on November 11, 1904, I was chosenPresident of the Orderville Relief Society, and served until the autumnof 1917. I was elected a member of the Orderville School Board on July12, 1909, and served as secretary until July 12, 1915, at which time theschools of the county consolidated.

As a girl, I was Secretary of the Primary Association from January 31,1885 to 1889, also Secretary for the Sunday School for several years. Iheld the office of Sunday School teacher and Relief Society President forthirteen unbroken years, or until I moved from the Ward. This was trulythe period of my greatest activity. It was the noon-day of my life.

I was contented with my life and work in Orderville, but the childrenbegan to get restless. We sold our property and moved to Cedar City, IronCounty, Utah, where my children previously had been attending high schoolat the B.A.C., thereby enabling part of them to continue on in theireducation. We left Orderville September 14, 1917, by team. We bought acomfortable home and began a new life. As my children came one by one,they now began to leave one by one, and in a few years were all married.My family circle was gone, and five others were being formed.

I continued to work in the organizations that had given me so muchcomfort in the past. I was sustained Second Counselor in the Cedar WestWard Relief Society in the summer of 1919, and worked in this capacityuntil 1924, was a Visiting Teacher the following two years, teacher inMutual from 1923 to 1926, then again after the Ward was divided in 1926.One year I was teacher in the adult class. Again, I was appointed to theRelief Society Stake Board. I was secretary two years in the first Countyorganization of the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers (1990 to 1922) beforeany local camps were organized.

Because of eye weakness, it was necessary to decline a number of bothcivic and religious opportunities to serve.

I was married to Myron D. Higbee in the Salt Lake Temple on April 2,1927--a marriage for Time only. I had been a widow for twenty-eightyears. The association with his family has been pleasant. Brother Higbeedied August 5, 1932.

There is an aching loneliness when husband and children have all gone outof the home, but with all, a reasonable happiness and contentment stillgive life a zest and an interest as the shadows of evening approach.

A Final Word To My Mother S Life Sketch (By Flora Seegmiller Perry,daughter)

Mother lived eighteen years after she completed the sketch of her life in1936. She continued to live a rich and full life. Her activitiescontinued in both civic and Church affairs, so far as her declining yearspermitted.

After the death of Brother Higbee, much of her time was spent in doingGenealogy work and writing sketches and articles of great interest toherself and a treasure of valuable [history].


bullet  Noted events in her life were:

Sealed to child (LDS): Bic.


Emma married Daniel Seegmiller, son of Johann Adam Seegmuller and Anna Eva Knechtel, on 30 Nov 1889. (Daniel Seegmiller was born on 6 Dec 1836 in Preston, , Ontario, Canada, died on 23 Jul 1899 in Upper Kanab, Kane, UT and was buried on 25 Jul 1899 in Upper Kanab, Kane, UT.)


Emma next married Myron David Higbee, son of Unknown and Unknown, on 2 Apr 1927. (Myron David Higbee was born on 10 Apr 1861 in Cedar City, Iron, UT and died on 5 Aug 1932 in Cedar City, Iron, UT.)

Home | Table of Contents | Surnames | Name List

This Web Site was Created 19 Feb 2007 with Legacy 6.0 from Millennia