Ancestors of Joseph Gale and Rula Dalley Houston

Fourth Generation

8. James HOUSTON [scrapbook] was born 4 Jun 1817 in Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland. He died 5 Jan 1864 in St. George, Washington, Ut and was buried Jan 1864 in St. George, Washington, Ut. James married Margaret CRAWFORD on 26 Aug 1845 in Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland. [Parents]

Name: James Houston
Birth Date: 14 Jun 1817
Birth Place: Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland
Death Date: 05 Jan 1863
Death Place: St. George, Utah
Arrival: Sep 1848, Brigham Young Co.
Spouse: Margaret Crawford
Marriage Date: 26 Aug 1845
Marriage Place: Glasgow, Scotland
Spouse's Parents: James and Elizabeth Brown Crawford
Spouse's Birth Date: 01 Mar 1825
Spouse's Birth Place: Dinstur Parech, Lanark, Scotland

James grew up learning to be a silk shawl weaver. In his journal, he said, "I was a lot of trouble in my youth and it caused me to reflect much, because of the things I saw and heard." He seemed to be of a religious nature and kept looking for answers to his questions. He was a praying young man. When he was about 14, his brother John died while they were both at the end of their time as apprentices. Later he said his brother appeared to him and they talked. Not too long after this, he met some members of the LDS Church and started to study. He was so influenced that he sailed for America in 1835 with a small group of saints. He felt he wasn't good enough to be baptized, and it wasn't until 1841 that he was baptized. He filled a mission in 1842-43 . In 1848 he and his wife started west. Their first son was born in April and they arrived in the Valley in September. He built a home and the following year raised a good crop. He and his family went south at the advice of President Young until the army issue was resolved. James owned the land where Liberty Park now is. Brigham Young asked him to go to St. George to help with the Cotton Mission in 1861 . He was injured there and died as a result in 1864 . Children: Elizabeth , b. 1 Jun 1846 , Kirtland, Ohio . Md. 4 Jan 1867 , Albert DeLong . John , b. 14 Apr 1848 , St. Joe, Missouri . Unmarried. D. young. James , b. 6 Feb 1850 , Salt Lake City, Utah . Md. 1st, 18 Nov 1875 , Lucy Rebecca Cooper . Md. 2nd, 22 Apr 1881 , Sara LeFevre . Joseph , b. 21 Dec 1851 , Salt Lake City, Utah . Md. 1st, 28 Dec 1874 , Marcy Elizabeth Clark . Md. 2nd 12 Jan 1881 , Annie Marie Davis . Thomas , b. 6 Sep 1853 , Salt Lake City, Utah . Md. 2 May 1880 , Christena Rasmenia Schow . Margaret , b. 1 Dec 1855 , Salt Lake City, Utah . Md. 28 Dec 1874 , Riley G. Clark . Mary Dempster , b. 6 Jun 1858 , Salem, Utah . Md. 18 Dec 1878 , Ira Wilder Hatch . Hyrum , b. 9 Jun 1860 . D. 13 Jul 1862 , St. George, Utah . Child Brigham , b. 7 Aug 1863 . D. 28 Jul 1864 , St. George, Utah . Infant. J. L. Crawford.

Pioneer Ancestors, Salt Lake City Chapter SUP
James Houston, Sr. Born 4 June 1817 Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland Entered the Salt Lake Valley 23 September 1848

James Houston at 46 years of age, on 2 January 1864, died of phenomia complications leaving a noble widow and seven children all tested and true Latter-day Saints. Each one lived to honorably fulfill his and her mortal mission with posterity generally dedicated to carrying the Restored Gospel to honorable men and women throughout the entire world and performing vicarious services in Holy Temples for long departed relatives.

9. Margaret CRAWFORD was born 1 Mar 1825 in Dunsyre, Lanark, Scotland. She died 30 Jul 1912 in Panguitch, Garfield, UT and was buried 1 Aug 1912 in Panguitch, Garfield, UT. [Parents]


10. Ira Christian SCHOW was born 7 Oct 1835 in Kirkegarden, Aalborg, Aalborg, Denmark and was christened 19 Nov 1837 in Vor Frue, Aalborg, Aalb., Denmark. He died 30 Nov 1907 in Panquitch, Garfield, Ut and was buried Nov 1907 in Panquitch, Garfield, Ut. Ira married Kjirsten Marie SORENSEN on 1 Nov 1863 in Montanny, Box Elder, Ut. [Parents]

11. Kjirsten Marie SORENSEN was born 8 Jan 1845 in Dalsgjard, Vive, jalborg, Denmark and was christened 14 Jan 1845 in Dalsgjard, Vive, jalborg, Denmark. She died 11 Dec 1936 in Panquitch, Garfield, Utah and was buried Dec 1936 in Panquitch, Garfield, Utah. [Parents]


12. James DALLEY [scrapbook] was born 20 Dec 1822 in Leominster, Herefordshire, England and was christened 4 Jun 1823 in Leominster, Herefordshire, England. He died 3 May 1905 in Summit, Iron, Utah and was buried 5 May 1905 in Summit, Iron, Utah. James married Emma WRIGHT on 15 Aug 1850 in Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie, Iowa. [Parents]


The Ann Davis Dalley family joined the Church in 1841.  In February 1848, they sailed from Liverpool, England, bound for New Orleans.  The family included Ann, age 57, her son James, another son, two daughters, a son-in-law, and a grandson.  They were among the 120 Latter-day Saints sailing for America aboard the "Carnatic," under the leadership of Franklin D. Richards, to whom Ann Davis Dalley would later be sealed in 1857 in Salt Lake City.  From New Orleans, the Dalleys went up the Mississippi River to St. Louis, then up the Missouri River to Council Bluffs.  The first news that James received from England was that his wife and baby, who had remained in England with plans to come as soon as James could prepare a home for them, had both died.  The Dalleys settled for a time near Kanesville, Iowa, during which time James Dalley met and married Emma Wright.

In the summer of 1852 the family journeyed across the plains in the Daniel McCarthey Company, arriving in the Salt Lake Valley in late October.  James and Emma settled in Battle Creek, now known as Pleasant Grove, until 1854, when they were called to help colonize Iron county.  They moved to Johnson's Springs and there built Johnson's Fort, later known as Enoch.  Emma Wright Dalley died in 1875 in giving birth to her fifteenth child.  James Dalley lived the law of plural marriage, for which he was sentenced to six months in the Utah state penitentiary in 1887.  He was the father of 45 children.

Johnson's Fort was built in the low valley between Cedar Fort (Cedar City) and Parowan as a protective stockade for the cattle from both settlements. To this spot with its generous spring, had ventured pioneer Joel Hills Johnson in the spring of 1851. He had been called to the Iron Mission, and upon exploring the area surrounding the new community of Parowan, had reached the green, grassy meadows about twelve miles to the south. Feeling that this would be an ideal spot for a farm, he stretched out his arms and announced to his companions, "Mine, all mine!" It is presumed that this early claim to the land resulted in the area being called "Johnson's Spring."

Later in the same year, George A. Smith, stalwart leader of the Iron Mission, sent Mr. Johnson and his family to Johnson's Spring to build the stockade. Soon other families came—Laban Morrell, James and William Dalley and their families, Thomas P. Smith and James W. Bay, and they built the fort that for many years was known as "Johnson's Fort." An area ten rods square was laid out, and the adobes were made of the heavy clay that surrounded the place. The nine-foot-high walls were two and one-half feet thick at the bottom, tapering to eighteen inches at the top. Five adobe rooms were built in a row on the west side, the fort wall answering for the outside wall of the rooms. A two-story dwelling house was erected in the southwest corner, and a large two-story bastion with portholes to be used in defense against the Indians, stood in the southeast corner. Sheds and corrals were built on the inner east side, with a granary, blacksmith shop and chicken coop on the west and north. The well was dug in the center. Just outside the fort were planted an apple orchard and vegetable garden, and on the outer south side was the farm that was irrigated with water from Johnson's Spring.

The area was abandoned temporarily in 1853 because of the Walker War, the settlers returning in 1854. By 1859 the Indians had become less troublesome, and Laban Morrell and the Dalley brothers, who had long been eyeing the fertile land on the eastern foothills, moved their families to this "summit" between Cedar Fort and Parowan, appropriately naming the place "Summit." Other families drifted away, as well.

And Johnson's Fort? As with so many other early fortifications, eventually there was nothing left to show it had ever existed. The little hamlet called "Enoch" now marks the spot, and only in the memories of the few who saw it before it crumbled into nothingness is there an assurance that it once stood, fearlessly guarding the precious cattle belonging to the early builders of Iron County.

13. Emma WRIGHT was born 19 Aug 1833 in Leominster, Herefordshire, England. She died 24 Oct 1875 in Summit, Iron, Utah and was buried 26 Oct 1875 in Summit, Iron, Utah. [Parents]


14. John Pidding JONES [scrapbook] was born 10 Jun 1819 in Greenberfield, Yorkshire, England and was christened 10 Jun 1819 in Barnoldswick, Yorkshire, England. He died 11 Oct 1890 in Enoch, Iron, Utah and was buried 13 Oct 1890 in Cedar City, Iron, Utah. John married Margaret LEE on 23 Sep 1839 in Prescot, Lanc, England. [Parents]

15. Margaret LEE [scrapbook] was born 11 Apr 1821 in Liverpool, Lancashire, England and was christened 24 May 1821 in Bethesda Chapel Duncan Street East, Independent, Liverpool, Lancashire, England. She died 31 May 1900 in Enoch, Iron, Utah and was buried 2 Jun 1900 in Cedar City, Iron, Utah. [Parents]

Memories of My Grandmother–Margaret Lee Jones
By Pearl Jones Halterman

The following are things that I vividly remember about Grandmother. She was a very stalwart member of the church. She knew the Bible from cover to cover. You could recite one passage of scripture and she could give you the next one and the chapter and verse. Her two valuable possessions were her song book and her Bible.  No one was ever allowed to touch or play with them. She was a  very devoted member of the church.  She loved it from the time she was converted  in England until she died.
Grandma was a very beautiful singer. She had a beautiful soprano voice. She displayed it wherever she went. She was the chorister to the Cedar 1st ward for years and years. Sunday mornings  when the boys weren't able to go to church, she would take her Bible and song book and walk to Cedar and conduct the choir for service. The song's grandma sang most of all were "Love at Home," "Come, come Ye Saints," "High on A Mountain Top," "Oh My Father," and"The Spirit of God Like a fire Is Burning," and when she sang that song, believe me she sang it from the depths of her heart. She always ended up with "Come, Come Ye Saints." In the winter evenings we would sit around the fireplace and Grandma would sing, and we children would all sing with her. Her favorite song that she sang most of all with us children was "Love at Home."  She displayed her beautiful voice to all of her children.

Aunt Mary Dalley was a most beautiful singer just like Grandma. She conducted the singing in her  ward in Summit for years and years. She was very talented and had a very talented family, not only with their singing but also with musical instruments. Grandma loved music and her main aim in life was to share her music and give it out to all of her children, grandchildren, great grandchildren and her great great grandchildren. Down  through the ages you can go thru the families and find in each that there  are some members who are really talented in music. One thing that she always  admired and taught was how to share a talent of music with others. She was  a wonderful teacher of beautiful music.

Grandmother was not only a religious woman but she had such a sense of humor with her. She displayed that to all of her grandchildren and great grandchildren down thru the ages.

A wonderful story I would like to tell about Grandmother occurred after she began to get kind of childish and wander off. I had to take care of her and watch her while mother did the work. And of course my girl friend Ivy Lee Jones Williams today was my very best friend and we spent hours and hours making mud cakes under the old tree there in front of Grandma's house. Mother would bring her out of the house of a morning and would say "Now my dear girls, youwatch Grandmother and don't let her wander off,  because she will." We were so  engrossed in our playing and making mud cakes and talking and singing and  grandmother ups and leaves and wanders off. Mother comes to the door and says "Pearlie, where is Grandmother?"  Well, we didn't know where Grandmother was because she had just slipped away. But we jumped up quick and looked down the meadow, down thru the field because we knew just about where she would be going was down to Aunt Mame Armstrong's to have tea. So we broke and ran just as her  head went over the little hill going down thru the pasture. But we didn't  get there quite in time. There was only just a small board that you could walk  on to go over the spring to get to Aunt Mame's and Grandmother had already  started across it and fell off into the mud. And Ivy and I tried to pull her  out and get her out and I think we finally made the grade and got her out and she wasn't going to go home with us she was still going down to Mame's to have  tea, but I coaxed her to come on home and get some dry clothes and then I would  take her down to Aunt Mame's. Well she finally decided she would go home with  us and get cleaned up. We went back up to mothers. Mother said "Oh merciful  heavens Grandmother, where have you been?" and Grandma said "Just going down to  Mame's to have a cup of tea." Mother had to quit the washing and take grandma's clothes all off and all the while she was taking her clothes off and getting her ready to have her bath Grandma was saying,  "Oh Suzannah, you're just a rubbin all me ‘ide off,  I cannot tand this bathing." Mother would say, "Now  well Grandma you've got to get this mud off, you've got to be bathed." So finally she got grandmother into the tub and got the worst of it off and her hair washed.That was the highlight of the day  to have Grandma go down to Mame's to have a cup of tea,  and Ivy and I drag her out of the mud. We never let Grandma get out of our sight again. After that we always kept pretty close tabs on her because we knew very well we didn't want any more of getting her out of that  swamp again.

I could tell you 80 many more things about Grandmother, but time will  not permit.  I feel that anyone that has ever known her has been blessed a great deal by her wonderful talent, and her beautiful music. She died in our home.


Home First Previous Next Last

Surname List | Name Index